Friday, March 7, 2014

Our Greatest Living Writing Rock Star? That's easy.

In preparing for a class I'm teaching this trimester - Best Sellers - I re-ran across this fantastic video of Neil Gaiman espousing the importance of libraries and reading.  As I watched it again, I could help but think what a rock star Gaiman is as a writer.  Not in the I-demand-you-don't-look-me-in-the-eye-and-that-you-bring-me-only-water-bottled-by-a-virgin type of rock star, but more in the larger-than-life, just-radiating-awesomeness type of rock star.  Sometimes when I  get down about my writing, I play "Would it be nice if ______ lived next door?" where I think of who would I want to talk to about writing that would help my attitude and confidence.  The more I think about it, Gaiman is that person.  Hell, he's probably the person I'd want next door not just for writer-ly advice, but to borrow sugar from or a black trench coach should I need one.
Here's the video of Gaiman address about libraries:  http://readingagency.org.uk/news/blog/neil-gaiman-lecture-in-full.html
But maybe if you really want to see what I'm talking about with the whole rock star thing, you should watch this - his address to the gradates of The University of the Arts.  This is in my top ten inspirational pieces ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikAb-NYkseI

No comments:

Post a Comment