Friday, April 1, 2016

DON'T GET CAUGHT Released Today!

I'll try not to get too sappy about this, but yes, my debut novel, DON'T GET CAUGHT is being released today.  I'm a bit freaked out about the whole thing, and it also has me feeling a bit nostalgic.
The book at a B&N on Long Island, the first sighting (two days early!)
Here's the short version of how I ended up here: I started writing back in the summer of 2002 as part of the Ohio Writing Project, a program at Miami University where I was starting work on my Master's degree.  Lots of people were writing personal narratives, but I quickly ran out of drama in my life to write about, and turned to writing horror short stories instead.  A couple of years later I ended up at Tom Monteleone's Borderland's Writing Workshop in Maryland, fell in with a great group of writers who helped and pushed me, published a handful of short stories, moved on to writing a novel which didn't sell, and then onto something much more me -- DGC, a novel of over-the-top pranks, anti-authoritarianism, lots of juvenile humor, and hopefully some laugh out loud moments.  I think most people will dig it.
Eric Smith's dog, Auggie, territorially hugging my book.
And before I get too far into this, I'd better offer up links to buy the book, right?  So here you go:
Indie Bound
Barnes and Noble
Amazon
Lydia Day Penaflor's picture literally made my mouth drop.
The last few months have kept me busy with writing guest blog entries and doing whatever promotional work I can dream up.  Mostly, I've been breaking most of the good advice writers gave me by checking and rechecking my sales rankings, my Goodreads' reviews, and Googling my own name.  I've been fortunate in that (most of) the reviews have been very positive, and nothing has made me want to put my head in the oven.  At least not yet.

Brooks Benjamin's hilarious note in a DGC arc.
If anything, I've struggled with the lack of control I have over the whole thing.  The book's finished, the promotional materials have been delivered, the arcs out and reviewed, and at this point, the stores have their copies.  I have an extreme case of "Now what should I do?" which is hard because the answer is nothing.  At this point, I can just hope that people like the book, tell their friends about it, and that it catches on.  And if it doesn't, that's fine, too.  I've published a novel, something most people will never do.  I need to enjoy this moment, enjoy the day, enjoy next week's signing, and move on to the next book.
Cows on the book, inside the book, and now, outside the book, too.
I have a hundred people I could thank, and most of them I hit up in the Acknowledgments at the end of the novel.  I've also met a bunch of wonderful writers and people in publishing in the last two years who have become good friends.  And a final thanks to all of the reviewers out there who have promoted the book and have given it a fair shake.  This book would be dead on the vine without you.Mostly though, I'm thankful for my wife and kids who give me the time and space to write, and put up with my moods when the writing's not going very well.  I'll be spending the day with them and celebrating the novel's release probably by visiting a couple of bookstores to see the book and then getting pizza or something.  Nothing fancy, just family time and whatnot, the way I like it.

Items definitely necessary for the final prank in the novel.
If you've bought the book, thank you!  I hope you enjoy it.  If you feel the urge, drop me a line and I'll send you a button or a bookmark or whatever promotional items I have around until I run out.  I appreciate the support more than you can know.

8 comments:

  1. Hey Kurt - Read a review on Good Reads by Karen. I actually picked it up at B&N on my lunch break. Been reading Maryilynne Robinson and Alice Munro. Thought this sounded like some thing fun. Read a few pages and it is working form me. Good luck! G_Austin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support! Karen's the best. The best. And if you've been reading Alice Munro...yeah, this is a little lighter. Actually, a lot lighter! I'm glad it's working for you. I hope you enjoy the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello. I loved the book. I am doing it for my book report, and for my intro paragraph I was wanting to state why you wrote it and what made you come up with such brilliant ideas. So could you give me a little inside on why you wrote this and how ? Thank you. -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello. I loved the book! I read it in like three days, I couldn't stop! I'm doing my book report on it. And for my intro paragraph I wanted to include why you wrote this book, and what made you come up with such brilliant ideas. So could you give me a little inside on this? Thank you.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just finished it and enjoyed it a lot. Is there a sequel coming?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Hey, thanks for the question! A sequel is up in the air at the moment, but if the book does well, there will definitely be a sequel. So if you liked the book, tell your friends! :)

      Delete